Saturday, July 23, 2011

A Nest

Why did we choose The Knitting Nest as the name of our yarn shop?  We could have called it a million different things – Martin’s Knitting And Crochet, Weyauwega Fibers, etc.  Even if we want to have alliteration, we could have used The Knitting Nook,  or The Knitting Niche (to name just a few).  The Yarn Barn or Martin’s Yarns would have given us something rhyming.  So, why The Knitting Nest?

According to Dictionary.com, one of the definitions of nest is “a cozy and secluded place”.  When people hear the name The Knitting Nest, we want them to think of a place where they can be comfortable working on their knitting or crochet.  We hope that people will think that it’s going to be a cozy place where they will feel welcome.

How did we come up with the name The Knitting Nest?  In large part, it was by making a long list of potential names and then crossing out what wouldn’t work.  The reason that The Knitting Nest even got on the list is because of my “nest” at home.  I have a rocking chair in the living room with my knitting supplies and laptop on my left side and my books and other necessities on the right.  When I’m in my “nest”, I feel sheltered and happy.  I even blogged about the parts of my “nest” here.

Patrick and I have been spending a good bit of time pondering how we are going to make our shop really BE The Knitting Nest.  The first thing is that Patrick and I are (we hope) naturally very welcoming and enjoy having people around.  We are also making a sitting area in the front of the shop for people to spend time working on a project or just visiting with friends.  Of course, we’re going to have classes, which are great ways for people to meet each other.  And, every Thursday night will be an “open crafting night”, when people can come to the shop and work on their current project in the company of others.

Selling yarn and supplies is, of course, the primary goal of the yarn shop, but we wanted our name to reflect our desire to develop and be part of the fiber arts community, so we are The Knitting Nest.  We are looking forward to meeting lots of crafters and to providing a space for the crafting community to develop friendships as we work together.

No comments:

Post a Comment