Sunday, October 14, 2012

UFOs Run Amok!!

I am drowning in UFOs – “unfinished objects”!! I’ve been trying to simplify my life, limit choices, etc., etc., but can’t seem to apply that philosophy to my knitting! It looks like I need an intervention. NOW!

Here’s just about everything out on the table. (The closed The Knitting Nest bag represents gifts I’m making that I’m not going to show on the blog because my kids are going to catch on to what I do on the computer one of these days!)

001

Yeah. I know. The first step is to admit you have a problem. And I do – I knit for myself and for the shop. And I have knitting ADD. And I like pretty yarn and patterns. That’s three problems. Well, let’s go through these one by one and figure out what I need to do.

Fair Isle sweater from Knit Picks kit. I actually made one of these and accidentally felted it. I still have enough yarn that I’m doing another one. Right now it’s in a box with cedar balls because I have other projects that keep taking up my time. But, this project is teaching me lots about doing Fair Isle work, so it’s definitely something I want to finish. Hmmmm. Keep in box for now. Work on after Christmas.

006

Hidden Treasure Pocket Sock in Kollage Luscious yarn. I made the model for our sock class out of some Universal yarn, but I hadn’t used any of the Luscious, which is a cotton/elastic blend, so I figured I’d just throw together a pair of these socks. Well, they do go quickly, but I’ve been interrupted a zillion times. I’m up to the pocket which will take very little time and then I can do the second sock. Definitely keep in the rotation.

007

Drummossie entrelac sock in Cascade Heritage yarn. I love this sock. This is the second of the pair and I’m making it using backward knitting instead of turning to do the purl sides. I’m motivated to finish it to see how the gauge works out. I’ll definitely get this one done soon.

008

Green lace socks for my daughter. She chose a pair of socks a year or more ago for me to make for her that have 5 (yes, 5) different charts! I finally finished the first sock last spring. I still haven’t cast on the second. It needs  to be done by this spring, though. Stays in the rotation. This . . . this . . . is why I need to knit socks two at the same time!!

009

Another reason for me to do socks two at a time – this sock from the Knitty website. It’s knit from side to side using Judy’s Magic Cast-On to start and kitchener stitch to end. Totally cool. And I used some of my favorite Regia Yarn. But now I need to make the second sock. Unfortunately, since it’s not remotely shop model-ish, it’s a low priority right now.

012

Ah, silk! My mom wants the silk model up in the shop, so instead of making another, I decided to make Wingspan in silk. I love it and I’m almost finished. This is one of the few projects that is only unfinished because of space/time constraints.

011

This little puff of wool is supposed to be a change purse one day. I pull it out and work a few rows every few months. I’m not sure it’s ever quite going to grow out of being a bit of fluff, but I’ll try.

014

Bamboo sock yarn sock. This is a new sock yarn that we’re carrying in the shop, so I need to whip up a sock and block it to see what I think of the stuff. As you can see, it doesn’t really even qualify as “unfinished” – it’s “unstarted”. But it’s a moderately high priority.

015

I love Cascade’s Baby Alpaca Lace yarn, so I’m making a shawl from it. But, it’s clearly in the UFO category right now. It’s not remotely “mindless knitting”. I have used my lifelines more than I care to admit. Definitely a piece to keep in the rotation, but only when I’m feeling up to putting some brain power behind the needles.

016

My “Live, love, knit” sweater. It doesn’t look much like a sweater right now, does it? I’ve only been working on it for six months. Why did I think I should make a sweater out of Ultra Pima Fine? Perhaps because I’m crazy? Perhaps because I love the yarn. Either way, I’m about halfway up the back. It’s more of a spring sweater, so I may not worry too much about it for a few months and spend more energy on something like the Fair Isle – which is much more of a winter item.

018

Spiraling Organza Scarf. My daughter came up with an idea to use some of the novelty yarns with traditional yarns, so I’m in the process of making a tube scarf with Organza winding up around it. So far, I’m loving the effect. This is a great project for me to work on when my hands are tired of the small needles, and I anticipate I’ll finish it in the next week or so.

020

I think I have these a little better prioritized in my head. And I won’t be starting anything new (except a Christmas gift or two). I’ll post my progress and see if I can’t get down to something more manageable in a few weeks.

How are you doing with UFOs? Maybe we can encourage each other and have fun at the same time!!

Knitting Nest Yarn Diva

No comments:

Post a Comment