Wednesday, December 7, 2011

And Then The Magic Happens . . .

By Patrick Martin

A few weeks ago, I made the models for our sock knitting class.  As I was working on the heels of  the sock and watching the tube I was knitting take a 90 degree turn, I had a very clear picture in my head.  It was a picture of Linda, one of our teachers, telling some clients, “… and that’s when the magic happens!”  I don’t remember exactly what she was referring to when I heard her say it, but for me, turning a heel is like magic.  I just blindly follow the instructions and the whole tube makes a right angle turn: MAGIC!!  But then I started thinking about how my wife wrote the pattern for these socks.  The heel turning thing is not so magic to her anymore.  She completely understands it and can even write it down stitch by stitch.  But I remember the first time she turned a heel.  She was giddy!  It was magic!  That’s why she wants to learn to knit Brioche now.  Not so much because she wants a challenge, but because she wants to experience the magic again.

So, what is it that makes the magic happen for you?  When we first start knitting, finishing two rows with the same number of stitches we started with could be magical.  Or maybe you’ve just learned that “knit one purl two” is more than a silly saying and you are watching ribbing appear!  That’s the fun of learning a new skill.  When  your hard work starts to pay off and you see the fruits of your labor, it’s like magic.  And, after a while, when that skill becomes a little easy and you start to understand why it works, you need to look for the magic again.  So, go find yourself something new to learn.  Make some magic happen.  And if you think you don’t have time, ask yourself if any of the things that you are spending your time on now are making magic.  If not, maybe you could change your priorities a little and learn something new!

Patrick Martin

No comments:

Post a Comment