Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Second Sock Syndrome

 

Yes, I am seriously afflicted with “Second Sock Syndrome”.  What about you?  Do you finish one sock and have no interest in making the second one?  Do you have single socks and/or partial second socks in your stash because you are too bored to finish the second sock?  Or, do you end up with socks of different sizes because you didn’t keep close enough track of the numbers of rows?

All of those apply to me!  I love knitting socks, but after I finish one, I don’t want to do the second one because it’s just not much of a challenge!

There is a cure, though!  And it’s not difficult!  The trick is to knit both socks at the same time.  I suppose you could have two sets of double points and knit one row on one sock then go to the other set of double points to knit the row on the second sock, but it seems cumbersome.  There are some crazy people who knit one sock inside the other!  There are not enough anxiety meds in the world to get me to try that!

No, the fix is much easier.  You knit both socks at the same time on a long circular needle, using the Magic Loop technique.  You can do the socks from the cuff down or from the toe up.  I prefer knitting the socks from the toe up using Judy’s Magic Cast-on with a flap and gusset heel.

Patrick and I are going to be teaching a class making socks using this technique, so you are welcome to join us.  The class is $60 which includes a skein of Cascade Heritage (wool/nylon sock yarn) and the pattern.  If you’re interested in this class, stop by The Knitting Nest to sign up!

Knitting Nest Yarn Diva

No comments:

Post a Comment