Thursday, June 16, 2011

Current Projects–6/16/2011

We got our bank account set up today!!  And tomorrow we get the keys to our retail space!  Yippee!

Of course, we are also working on other projects.  My big one right now is a Fair Isle sweater from a Knit Picks kit (Dogwood Blossoms – cardigan version).  I got the sleeves done a couple of months ago and then put it aside to work on my sweater for Easter.  Now I’m working on the body of it.  The body is worked in the round with a steek in the middle for the button band.  I’m up to the sleeve section now, so there are also steeks for the sleeves.  Between the color changes every couple of rows and the decreases for the neck and shoulders, it’s a pretty tricky pattern.  Hopefully, just a few more weeks and I’ll be ready to start sewing it together.

image

I’m working on a pair of socks for my daughter from the book Sock Innovation.  They are worked on size zero needles.  I started them on a long circular, but am now working them on some size 0 carbon fiber double point needles.  These needles are much stronger than the size 0 bamboo double points and are a joy to work with.  They have a square shape and the surface is smooth, but with enough texture that the yarn doesn’t slide off.

And, can I just say how much I love the Sock Innovation book?!  The first part explains the basic construction of socks and how to make your own pattern.  The rest of the book is wonderful sock patterns – cables, lace, etc.  Definitely one of my favorite books.

I picked up a book called Module Magic a couple of weeks ago and have been playing around with mitered squares.  I’m not making a particular item, but playing around with shapes and getting used to how they work.

Patrick recently finished a hat for a friend that was his first project in the round.  He’s now working on socks.  It’s his first time to turn a heel and graft a toe.

I’m also learning crochet.  I’ve made several washcloths and am now learning granny squares.  Patrick is definitely the crochet expert around here.

Patrick is also learning more about working wood on his lathe.  He hopes to make Harry Potter wands as well as knitting needles and shawl pins.  I can’t wait till he turns his first pair of knitting needles.

What are you working on these days?

No comments:

Post a Comment